- Snap Files for IPO, the biggest one since Alibaba in 2014. Snapchatter facts to know.
Earlier this month, Snap (previously known as Snapchat) officially filed for an IPO. Important thing to note to investors and the general public is that it may never achieve or maintain profitability. I’ve included some facts below about Snapchtat’s user base as well as some financials…
Usage Snapchat Facts:
• Over 161 million people use Snapchat every day. 60 million daily active users in the United States and Canada.
• 60% of the Snapchat community creates snaps every day.
• Snapchatters watch over 10 billion videos per day.
• Users younger than 25 visited Snapchat over 20 times and spent over 30 minutes on Snapchat every day on average.
• Users 25 and older visited Snapchat approximately 12 times and spent approximately 20 minutes on Snapchat every day on average.
• Snapchat has over 60 million Daily Active Users (DAU in tech terms) in the USA and Canada. While in the UK, there are 10 million DAUs (4th largest advertising market).
• Over 60% of snap ads are watched with sound.
• Average Revenue Per User (ARPU in tech terms) has grown ~3x to $1.05 in Q4 2016 which is up from $0.31 in Q4 2015. North America alone grew to $2.15.
It’s important to note that the company has a diverse revenue stream as no single advertiser or content partner accounts for more than 10 percent of revenue. This is key for future growth potential.
Snapchat’s growth is pretty impressive, but the losses are extraordinary. Here are some highlights from the company’s filings:
• Net revenue: $404.48 million in 2016, up from $58.66 million in 2015.
• Net loss: $514.64 million in 2016, wider than $372.89 million in 2015.
• Loss from operations: $520.39 million in 2016, wider than $381.73 million in 2015.
• Head count: 1,859 employees.
Keep up to date with news and facts by following us. Snapchat away!